What is the concern about the use of mercury in dentistry?
Amalgam fillings have been commonly used in dentistry for decades. Many people do not realize the “silver” amalgam fillings are 50% mercury. A large filling may contain as much mercury as a thermometer. Mercury vaporizes easily at room temperature, and in this state, is odorless, colorless and tasteless. Inhaled mercury vapor is readily absorbed into the bloodstream. The World Health Organization has concluded that dental fillings contribute more mercury to a person’s body than all other sources of mercury combined.
Mercury is a powerful poison and is the most toxic, non-radioactive element on the earth. Published research demonstrates that mercury is more toxic than lead, cadmium or arsenic. No amount of exposure to mercury vapor can be considered harmless – especially considering its cumulative effect.
Most medical and scientific researchers have called for a ban on the use of mercury in all products. However, the potential harmful effects of mercury fillings have been ignored by the U.S. Government. Due to its poisonous nature, mercury can adversely affect the immune, urinary, cardiac, respiratory, and digestive systems. Under laboratory conditions, mercury has produced brain cell deterioration identical to that seen in victims of Alzheimer’s disease.
What are the related health risks?
- Signs and Symptoms of Mercury Vapor Exposure from Dental Amalgams
- Take the TALKInternational Mercury Toxicity Self-Test Survey 
Should I have my mercury fillings removed?
The International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology (IAOMT) and biological dentists believe you should (unless you are pregnant or lactating). Mercury vapor has been demonstrated to be continuously emitted from dental fillings and accumulates in the body over time. The damaging effects of this exposure may not manifest for years or even decades. Studies repeatedly demonstrate that even low levels of mercury cause measurable adverse health effects. Mercury in the tissues of a fetus or infant correlates significantly with the number of dental amalgam fillings in the mother. Newborns may be at risk for learning disabilities because of mercury their mother absorbed during pregnancy. Across scientific disciplines, health professionals are realizing that mercury may adversely impact patient health. Many physicians are testing their patients for mercury toxicity and referring them to biological dentists.
What is the safe way to have my fillings removed?
Many dentists are not trained in the dangers of mercury or proper removal techniques. Because patients are becoming increasingly concerned about the mercury in their mouths, dentists who are not concerned about toxicity issues will still agree to remove these fillings from patients’ mouths. Unfortunately, improper removal technique can subject the patient to even more serious mercury poisoning. To prevent additional mercury exposure, patients should inquire about the amalgam removal protocols: IAOMT Protocols for Mercury Filling Removal .
How to Talk to Your Dentist about Mercury Toxicity Concerns
Print this Checklist  to take with you to your next dental appointment
Where can I find a dentist trained in these techniques?
All biological dentists have been trained in these techniques. Use the TALKInternational.com Directory  to locate a biological dentist near you.